Stepping out of the ordinary, into an exotic place is a gift within itself. Besame Mucho is that kind of an experience; the type of boutique that you’d expect to find on a quaint street in Paris. Nestled on Petronia street in the local neighborhood of Bahama Village in Key West, this carefully curated boutique offers treasures from around the globe. From hand-stitched Moroccan slippers to designer chocolates, this store is filled with hand-made, luxurious items with a little something for everyone.
Established in 1999, Bésame Mucho, meaning “Kiss me a lot”, was founded by locals Meredith Bollong and her partner Michael MinKhin. Inspired from their extensive travels, this boutique is filled with all the things they love. Having grown up in Key West in the 70’s, Meredith remembers when Key West was smaller and strewn with exotic local shops that could have been from the West Indies. Her goal was to provide that same feeling with her store. “I’ve always been sensitive to my surroundings which is why we aim to fill our store with hand-made and old treasures that have stood the test of time,” stated Meredith Bollong.
Top finds from Besame Mucho:
1. Have you ever tried a milk chocolate bar baked with fine nibbles of hickory smoked bacon? This combination is exquisitely done by this Chicago company and is a must try! Vosges Haut Chocolat Mo’s Milk Bar – available for $9.95.
2. Hand-stitched Italian leather slippers from Morocco. These posh slippers come in a variety of metallic hues and look-like something you could love and live-in… forever. $168
3. Besame Mucho is the only store south of Miami carrying Kiehl’s skin care products. In addition to Kiehl’s, they also carry old-world brands such as Dr. Hauschka Skin Care from Germany and Italian made Santa Maria Novella. From perfumes to lotions to candles, you will find a variety of apothecary items to fit your needs. (prices vary)
4. Straw beach bag wrapped in gold fabric available for $48. So beautifully done, you could carry this bag not only to the beach and on the boat but it could also be used it as a large purse for when your normal purse is just not enough!
5. Simple and delicate, hand-made jewelry from artisans around the world. Each piece is made from the finest items including sterling silver and 18K gold, you will find a variety of unique pieces here. (prices vary)
Shop Besame Mucho at 315 Petronia Street in Key West Monday thru Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. or anytime at www.besamemucho.net.
This article was also featured in the Florida Keys Reporter and Keynoter as a part of my “Conch Style” column that runs bi-monthly in the Friday and Saturday edition. If you have story ideas on style in the Florida Keys, please send me an email at Leah@leahsfabulousfinds.com.