The end of 2012 is a great time for reflection on our lives to determine whether we’re on the path we aspire. It’s also a time for new beginnings as we vow to make positive changes and set new goals. New Year’s resolutions often take on the form of a new personal goal such as losing weight or getting healthy.
Miuccia Prada said, “What you wear is how you present yourself to the world.” So in 2013, make a resolution to improve on yourself and how you feel about your own personal style.
Some simple style suggestions for 2013:
1. Wear more color – Although you can really never go wrong with black, there is something to be said about that pop of color. In 2013, bring more color into your wardrobe and instead of relying on your little black dress for every work function, wedding or cocktail event, add a blouse, shoes or dress with color to brighten up your look.
2. Splurge on one basic piece that you can wear multiple ways – This could be a great pair of shoes, jeans, a dress or even a handbag. Just make sure it’s something that fits you well and that is versatile enough to enhance any occasion. So when finding that item to indulge in, make sure it’s one you know you will wear and love forever.
3. Wear bold, statement jewelry – This is one of my favorite wardrobe makers. Statement jewelry can absolutely transform your look, whether just wearing jeans and a t-shirt or a beautiful dress for a night out. Pick bold pieces in hues you look good in and that will compliment the wardrobe already in your closet.
4. Invest in good underpinnings – Our undergarments are the foundation to a good wardrobe. If you can’t remember the last time you bought yourself something new in this category, make a resolution to invest in some good solid undergarments in 2013. Not only will you feel more feminine, you’ll find that your clothes look better when your panty lines are nonexistent.
5. Wear patterns and stripes – Patterns and stripes are a great addition to your wardrobe and the perfect way create a stylish new you in 2013. Buy the wardrobe staple of a nautical striped shirt in navy/white or black/white or try bold patterns in bright colors. You can also try pairing two patterns together, such as a skirt and shirt, just make sure the base of both is in the same hue.
6. Clean out your closet – It’s a new year and what you didn’t wear last year will definitely not be worn this year. You will be amazed at what you find, a shirt with tags still on it, shoes you’ve completely forgotten about or perhaps even a pair of jeans that didn’t fit but now do! Sort through your closet and remember that the number one rule is that if it doesn’t fit you well than you shouldn’t keep it.
Donate or consign anything that no longer works for you. I also like to rotate things around so if I tend to wear a few things more often, I might put those in a different place and move a few items I’d like to start wearing more to the front. And when in doubt about what to purge, ask a friend for some company, and over a bottle of wine have her help you sort through it!
Wishing you a fabulous and stylish 2013!
This article was also featured in the Florida Keys Reporter and Keynoter as a part of my “Conch Style” column that runs bi-weekly in the Friday and Saturday edition. If you have story ideas on style in the Florida Keys, please send me an email at Leah@leahsfabulousfinds.com.
Images courtesy of Sedura Imagery – Specializing in children and family photography. Go to Sedura.com or follow on facebook at Facebook.com/SEDURA for more information.